Friday, March 20, 2020

When you lose a town fixture--rest in peace Bill Ewing.


See update at the end of the blog post.

Did you know Bill Ewing? Maybe you didn't know him by name. If you're new to town these last two years, you wouldn't really have had the chance because his health began to decline and he wasn't getting around so much.

I liked to call him "Old Bill"--it seemed like a good nickname for a town fixture. Not that long ago, before he got so sick, he used to love to walk around town. You'd have known him for his worn out Boston Red Sox cap, his baggy jeans, and his heavy, persistent walk, a little bent in the knees.

Bill loved the idea of being a crotchety old man, but could never pull it off--you always knew he was teasing or pulling your leg. He loved to laugh, and laughed loudly, and when he'd joke with you, his big smile would open broadly to reveal the gap between his front teeth. Like my dad, he had an eye that could look in another direction. He had a lot of character and was a character.

I'm not sure how long Bill lived in Maynard. I know he wasn't born here. I feel like he told me he came from somewhere closer to Boston. Was it Waltham? But he was here long enough to remember when the downtown was bustling, the Mill was full of Digital employees, and all the surrounding towns claimed Maynard as their hangout place.

I met Bill at the Boston Bean House. My family would go there on a Saturday for breakfast and we'd chat with him from our nearby table. Our daughter was a toddler then, and she used to peek at him from the edge of the opposite side of his table. He loved that. And as she grew, though he could never remember her name, and though he had begun to forget mine, he would talk about how little she used to be when she was peeking at him. But he had nicknames for us. He called me "the Crazy Hat Lady," and my husband "That Quiet Guy Who Never Smiles" (which always made Richard smile.).

Bill loved to tease me about my hats. I didn't mind--I knew he was doing it to be playful. One year at ArtSpace's Open Studios, I invited him to come and see my space. He had never been to the building in it's current use. While he was there, I was able to convince him to take off his old baseball cap and let me snap a picture of him in one of my fedora's. He obliged, and I'm grateful to have the picture to share with all of you.

Bill was probably nearing ninety, and some six-or-so years ago I remember him telling me about going around and helping "the old people" shovel the snow out of their driveways. A couple of years ago, when the Boston Bean House was a little backed up with food orders, Bill walked to the back, grabbed the snow shovel, and went out to the front steps to help clear the snow that kept accumulating. I thought it spoke so much about who he is that I had to grab a picture.

On Valentine's Day, he used to order a dozen long stemmed red roses to be delivered to his favorite businesses in town. I would always see them prominently on display on the refrigerator case at the Bean, with the little card signed the way he signed all his cards, and which confused me the first time I got a card from him, "Love, Bill and Bernie." I learned that Bernie was his wife, and that she had died years before. Still, he couldn't sign his name without including hers.

When his health and memory began failing him, his son Brian made sure he got to the Bean, and it was his son who emailed me today to let me know that his dad had passed away this morning. He was a lovely man, and my heart is sad knowing that he is gone.

Given all that is happening in the world right now, all the social distancing measures, I'm guessing that having a wake and funeral will be hard. How do we make up for that? How do we tell Brian how much we liked his dad and how very sorry we are?


On Wednesday (3/25/20) morning at 10:30am at  12 Dana Road a group is gathering to salute Bill as his hearse passes his home. You could drive over and join the other cars in our in-vehicle, social-distancing send off.


10 comments:

  1. Bill used to carry dog cookies in his pocket when he walked- which he did frequently. Willow was the lucky recipient of several treats over the years. I'll miss seeing him around the maze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our dog Rachel bonded in 2012 with Bill (through many biscuit treats) and joining him on the early morning walks around Downtown. His history of the town and our neighborhood always filled our time with laughs and opinions (no holding back from Bill). I hope to become a loveable "crotchety old man" like him one day, he has already been missed by both humans and his furry friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Denise. I'm heartbroken to have lost him. Thank you for capturing his essence perfectly.

    -Eli II

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful remembrance, Denise, about a beautiful man. It captured the joy of living Bill always tried to pass on to others. We will miss his laugh, his wisecracks, his smile, and his presence. Our heartfelt sympathies to Brian and the rest of Bill’s family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is very sad to hear about Bill's passing. He was like part of the family at the Boston Bean House. He would come in every day. Sit at the same table by the post and have a blueberry scone and hot coffee. Except for Saturdays that is when he would have his sandwich. On Saturdays, he was exceptionally happy because he would come in with his son Brian. You could tell he loved spending time with his son. On all the holidays, he would bring in flowers with a card signed "Bill & Bernie". It made all the customers that saw them smile. Random kindness. Thank you Denise for sharing the pictures. I couldn't believe my eyes either. Like I said, part of the family. I'm not sure how you got him into that hat though. I'm sure Brian will find a box of new Red Sox and Patriot hats that I bought for him over the years that he would never wear. He had his old favorites. He had that Irish way about him that everybody loved. He is surly going to be missed. Goodbye Bill, my friend.

    Eli Sr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll add this to the comments and to the body of the post in case anyone might miss it:
    On Wednesday morning at 10:30am at 12 Dana Road a group of us are gathering to salute Bill as his hearse passes his home. You could drive over and join the other cars in our in-vehicle, social-distancing send off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister forwarded this to me. Denise a beautiful article. Bill was my second cousin, whom I hadn't seen since the passing of his beloved wife Bernie. Bill and Bernie were both salt of the earth. We saw them often when we were growing up and they attended Murphy/Hogan family gatherings, weddings and family get togethers. They were the life of the party. They both were always happy, smiling and had contagious laughs. They always made you smnile, laugh and appreciate life. We have many fond memories of our times with them both. Bill will be sorely missed, but we know he is at peace now and with the love of his life Bernie in heaven. Rest in peace Bill.
    Jack Murphy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for leaving a comment. We are so lucky to have had the opportunity to know him.

      Delete
  8. The Ewing family thanks you very much for your very kind tribute and comments. Our Dad, Bill, very much enjoyed meeting all his friends (both 2-legged and 4-legged) on his walks, at the Bean House and all the local businesses downtown.

    The Town's send off at his funeral procession was truly amazing, more than we ever expected. Our Dad would have been proud and humbled.

    Thank you again for everything you all have done for him, in his life and in his death.

    Sincerely,
    The Ewing family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to be able to do some small part, and to be part of the procession. He was loved--it doesn't get much better than that.

      Delete