Thursday, May 7, 2015

Enjoy Russian Food and Tour That Darling Little Church

Have you ever driven down Acton St. (Rt. 27) in Maynard and happened to look down Prospect Street? The first time that happened to me, we were driving along and I think a happy and surprised little "oh!" burst out of my mouth as we went by. I thought I must surely be hallucinating because it seemed as though I had seen a fairy palace at the end of that street. If memory serves me right, I might have made my husband turn around, and there it was, what I would later learn is the Russian Orthodox Church.

I have lived in Maynard for nearly eighteen years, and I have yet to go inside Holy Annunciation Orthodox Church. Not being Russian Orthodox, I felt like I didn't really have a reason to visit. They have their annual Bazaar Russe that falls close to my birthday, so somehow we keep missing it. But today a friend insisted that I must go. She said the food is amazing and that Father Robert gives tours of the church. How can I resist that? Really people, how? My friend Liz said that if you get there in time, you can even get some pierogi (traditional Russian dumplings) and other Russian foods to take home and freeze, but that you have to get their early or they run out.

So this year, I'm going to mark my calendar and head over there. The bazaar is being held on Friday, May 15th, from 10:00am– 8:00pm (food service starts at 11:00) and Saturday, May 16th, from 10:00am–4:00pm (food service starts at 11:00). I hope you'll join me in poking around the church and eating tasty food. Here's a link to the event, where you'll find a menu of food being served there, and a menu of takeaway items.

1 comment:

  1. You'll love it, Denise. It's almost like a Community Supper. There are round, shared tables, so we always meet new Maynard neighbors while we are enjoying dinner. The food is delicious and they work so hard to prepare. There's an awesome bake sale in the hallway, too!

    ReplyDelete